Friday, October 29, 2010

Thank You

Cooking is a real talent. It requires practice, patience, technique, and the intangible ingredient of love--qualities that I have not been able to channel to my kitchen experiences. I want to dedicate this post to the wonderful sisters of the Rohnert Park Fourth Spanish Branch because of their marvelous skills with knives, pans, beaters, whisks, and sour cream. It is easy to overlook the impact that a home-cooked meal has on a missionary's day. Eating at a member's home is a tender mercy of the Lord and a wonderful service. Instead of fluttering around with ninety-nine cent macaroni and cheese or microwaveable pizza, missionaries can enjoy a peaceful moment with the members they are called to serve.
Thank you so much Sister Paredes, Castillo, Sanchez, Guadamud, Lopez, Medina, and Escamilla for the wonderful meals that you have provided me and my companions during my time in the Petaluma-Rohnert park area. You sweet sisters not only provide food for our temporal needs but also nourish our spirits with the love and gratitude of your hearts.

A Book of Mormon king, King Benjamin, instructed his people that "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." The King of Kings said: "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."  We missionaries appreciate all of you around the world who do engage in the terrific service of "feeding the missionaries." Our admiration goes to you for being so charitable and loving. I know that as we serve our fellow men, however great or small they are, we serve God--the greatest of all. May we carry that service forward to all men.

Why give service?
http://mormon.org/service/

No comments:

Post a Comment