Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Lord's Hands

"Dan Jones, a Welsh convert, joined the Prophet in the Carthage Jail. On 26 June 1844, the last night of his life, Joseph heard a gun fire, left the bed, and lay on the floor near Jones. The Prophet whispered, “Are you afraid to die?” “Engaged in such a cause I do not think that death would have many terrors,” Jones replied. “You will yet see Wales and fulfill the mission appointed you before you die,” Joseph prophesied. Thousands of faithful Latterday Saints enjoy the blessings of the Church today because Dan Jones later served an honorable and successful mission to Wales." (Our Heritage p.63).

It is fascinating to think of the great missionaries of the past: Ammon (Alma 18), Aaron (Alma 22), and Dan Jones among many others. What bravery they possessed in placing their personal lives, their people, and every comfortable thing in their lives on the altar so that they may preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Reflecting on my mission up to this point, it is easy to compare myself with these legendary missionaries and feel that my efforts and results are but a miniscule fraction of their marvelous accomplishments. Nevertheless, having helped only a few people has brought me an immense, eternal joy because I have been the instrument in the Lord's hands to touch the heart of someone. That is the source of my strength for pressing forward and the source of my love for others and my mission. I give thanks to all of you who have given me encouragement and strength to carry on even through days and weeks of great trial. It is a great privilege to work in the vineyard of the Lord and to be His hands, which are extended in a loving invitation towards everyone. I apologize if there are any that have been offended by my hand. I want you to know that I love each of you and that my desire is to change and become more Christ-like. It is Him that showed the perfect love when he placed himself in our shoes in Gethsemane and on the cross. Whether by his voice, or by the voice of missionaries like Dan Jones, his gospel will grow to cover the entire face of the earth. How blessed we are to be a small part of that great work!

1 comment:

  1. After reading this post, I am excited to go out and share the gospel with people! Dan Jones has an inspiring story. I can't even imagine what courage he had to go through the experience at Carthage Jail. To survive that, and still seek to share the gospel message...that's true bravery! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete