Saturday, June 18, 2011

"The Color of Butterfly Wings"


Stop to consider the vast expanse of life on our beautiful planet Earth. There are creepy, crawling things everywhere! Within our own backyard, we can find a plethora of insects including worms, beetles, spiders, and ants. There are also numerous domestic pets within the walls of our homes that include dogs, cats, fish, and reptiles, each unique and different. Consider now the wildlife that surrounds our cities and towns. Deer, foxes, coyotes, bears, horses, and cows are but to name a few umbrella animals in the abundant Animal Kingdom. Look at the beautiful ocean with its fishes, whales, sponges and other sea life. Look at the trees, shrubbery, colorful flowers, and fresh grass. Our minuscule human mind cannot wrap itself around the fantastic breadth of life this planet has to offer. We can, however, admire its sheer brilliance. The children's song "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" says best what I feel when I contemplate the beauty of this planet:  

"Whenever I hear the song of a bird or look at the blue, blue sky, Whenever I feel the rain on my face or the wind as it rushes by. Whenever I touch a velvet rose or walk by our lilac tree… I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world Heavenly Father created for me. He gave me my eyes that I might see the color of butterfly wings. He gave me my ears that I might hear the magical sound of things. He gave me my life my mind my heart; I thank him reverently, for all his creations, of which I’m a part. Yes I know Heavenly Father loves me" (Source)


"Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart...And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used..." (Doctrine and Covenants 59:18,20)

It is comforting also to know that we are one of his many creations and that we are unique in that we are patterned after Him, after His likeness and image. He has given us this world for our joy. I know that Heavenly Father knows each of us, his creations. He invites us all to come unto him and find everlasting joy. To each he gives the invitation to ask and call, with the promise that the door will be answered and we shall receive. I love my Heavenly Father and am grateful for this beautiful world. I testify that we can come to know him intimately if we but open our hearts to his love.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song. Sofia and I saw a deer in my parents backyard this afternoon. It seemed like time slowed down for a brief moment as we contemplated the Lord's creations and the beauty of this earth :)I know this beauty is the Lord's way of showing His love. He could have created a world that just met our needs, but He gave us one that does that and pleases the eye and gladdens the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song. There is so much beauty in the world, it's remarkable how much we take for granted. :)

    ReplyDelete