Friday, March 18, 2011

I Love To See The Temple

I love to see the temple.
I’m going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I’ll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.


 I love to see the temple. It is representative of all that is good and pure in this world. Within its walls, worthy members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints receive important ordinances and perform service on behalf of others. It is a place of refuge, a sacred lodging for those seeking peace, and a house where the voice of God can be heard and understood. As missionaries in the Santa Rosa Mission, we have the opportunity of visiting the lovely Oakland temple, situated on a mountainside overlooking the city and the City (meaning San Francisco for those unfamiliar with bay area lingo). The building stands brilliantly, beckoning the attention of all within sight. Its glow at night has even been rumored to guide ships lost in the heavy fog common to the bay and to aid aircrafts in positioning themselves so as to land safely. What great symbolism we find in these temples "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" Are we worthy temples unto all who are around us? Do we invite all and give peace and refuge? Are we good and pure? Do we shed forth our light to guide those lost sailors who would otherwise carry on in blind despair and hopelessness? My invitation to all is to meditate on the kind of temple you are and how you can improve. I know that as we do so the Spirit of the Lord will more abundantly dwell within us and propel us to greater happiness and peace--feelings inherently present in the temples of the Lord.


Us at the Christus of the Oakland Temple
 

No comments:

Post a Comment